It is NLCA’s vision that boys and girls are taught that your appearance is a reflection of who you are in Christ. Christian young people should dress in a way consistent with Biblical principles of decency. Decency in dress implies that others are not embarrassed, distracted, or tempted. In 1 Timothy 2:9 and 1 Peter 3:3 we are asked to refrain from extremes which call attention to ourselves. The manner of dress is directly related to the kind of people we are and what we think ourselves to be.
Christian character includes being disciplined in the areas of clothing, hair and make-up. If a staff members feels that a student’s dress is inappropriate, that student will be referred to the school office and a call placed to the parent. Any referral to the school office will be done silently as to not embarrass the student. Students will have the opportunity to contact their parents and/or guardian to bring the appropriate clothing to school. If parents are unavailable to be contacted the student will be provided with NLCA spirit wear for the remainder of the day. This will be at the cost of the parents and will be charged to their account. Student’s appearance must be conservative, neat, and modest. Hair must be welled groomed, out of eyes, and does not obstruct vision.
Pre-Kindergarten – Eighth Grade
All students who attend NLCA in Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade will be required to wear uniforms. Uniforms will consist of Khaki, Navy, or Black pants, shorts, capri’s, or skirts along with Red, White, and Navy polo style shirts. All shorts, skirts, or dresses must not be more than three inches above the knee. Pants and/or shorts must be worn with a belt and shirts must be tucked in (for boys and girls). Although we do not have a policy on shoes it is highly suggested that the students do not wear flip flops and/or sandals without a back strap. Younger students tend to hurt themselves when on playground and during PE.
Every Friday will be “spirit” day wear. Students will be allowed to pay $1.00 to wear jeans, along with, a NLCA spirit wear shirt. These shirts will consist of any NLCA t-shirts purchased through the school office. If your child does not have a NLCA t-shirt one can be purchased through the school office or your child may wear a solid white or red t-shirt. This shirt must be plain with no writing or logos.
High School Students Grades 9th -12th
Students will NOT be required to wear uniforms. They will; however, maintain a strict dress-code and any violations will result in the same consequences as the remaining students. High school boys will be allowed to wear Jeans and/or any other type of dress pant, such as, Khakis. High school boys will still be required to wear a collared shirt; however, it may be of any color or pattern they choose. Shirts must not have any writing and/or graphics of any kind on them. High school girls will be required to continue a modest dress code.
High school girls may not wear tops that are revealing in any way.
• No visible cleavage will be allowed. A suggestion to avoid immodesty = one handbreadth (not including the thumb) below the base of the neck. If cleavage is visible (even if your clothing is in compliance with this recommendation) the student will be considered in violation of dress code.
• No undergarments (including bra straps) should ever be seen under any circumstances.
• Clothing with alcoholic beverage ads, suggestive slogans, or promoting movies, products, or music groups are not to be worn at any time.
• Wallet chains will not be permitted.
• Students may not wear ornamentation of any type in pierced body parts during school hours or while participating in school functions (girls may wear earrings).
• Shirts must be long enough to cover entire torso when arms are fully raised.
• Tightly fitting pants will not permitted. No leggings, Jeggings, skinny jeans, yoga pants, and/or any solid, lace or “fish-net” type pants will be allowed. Please see list below of things not allowed going forward
• No hats of any kind – baseball caps, visors, toboggans etc. Although we understand during the winter months your child may want to wear a cap of some sort on their way to and from school; however, while in the building all hats should be removed and kept in their book bags and/or cubbies.
• No t-shirts with any type of logos and/or collegiate style shirts shall be worn on Fridays (or by the high school students)
• No sweatshirts, hoodies, fleece pullovers, jackets or any type jackets that has any type of graphics and/or collegiate writing. During the winter months we understand students will be wearing winter outer wear, such as, heavy coats and sweatshirts. These articles of clothing must be removed once in the building and kept in their cubbies. Should your child need to wear a sweatshirt, hoodie, or jacket during class, this will need to be a NLCA sweatshirt/hoodie, or a solid red, white or gray sweatshirt/jacket without any writing. (Small Logo’s, such as a Nike Swoosh, or Under Armor logo are permitted)
• No outer clothing should be overly tight. Pants, Shirts, Shorts, Skirts, and Jeans must all be appropriate waist size and worn pulled up with a belt. They must be free of holes and frays.
• No Tank tops – A Tank top is defined as anything with a strap narrower than a handbreadth (sleeveless and cap sleeves will be allowed)
• No Athletic wear should be worn during school hours. This includes, gym shorts, gym pants t-shirts, muscle/sleeveless shirts.